Thursday 26 January 2012

Attack of the Green Eyed Monster


Sequins.....a little played out sometimes, especially at Christmas. We've seen it all before....silver, gold, reds. First came the dress, headbands, then the harems, bralets, high waisted shorts, jackets. Incorporated as a daily staple on The Only Way is Essex and copied by every girl on a Saturday night proved that high street imitations can create a fine line between looking expensive and cheap.

But the emerald greens sequin trend in 2011 was a twist. Sheer genius in my opinion. Maybe its the inner child in me, recalling the days of wanting be a like Ariel in the Little Mermaid. Glimpses had been seen previously in 2009 Balmain, Ready to Wear Collection 2009.  Jennifer Connelly rocked a Balmain version and I'm pretty sure Topshop Premium had an embellished version last year.
                                       


Cue Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2012 at Fall's New York Fashion Week. Zoe Saldana and Gwyneth Paltrow  both looked outstanding in Elie Saab. However, I did wish that Gwyneth sported an updo and left that choker at home. I can't help feeling that a pear shaped figure would look dazzling in this number. Maybe J-lo should have worn this, to recreate an updated version of that striking Versace jungle dress for another history making moment.














Remember Angelina Jolie at last years Golden Globes in Atelier Versace (one to watch in 2012) and Dolce and Gabbana F/W 2011? D&G's interpretation was a firm favourite, from Anna Panquin on V magazine, Beyonce and Vogue's September issue.


               








French designer BCBG Max Azria.




My mind was set. I trawled online and vintage stores in London for a few weeks to see what I could find.I fell in love with the two ASOS versions.

















Stunning. I'm mad about ASOS but I decided on a vintage piece from.... shop.thecobrasnake.com. (As Seen Below) Could I pull this off? I didn't even think about it and clicked the buy button. I this will look perfect with a dark wine lip and my hair in a high pony or messy bun. Cobrashop is in LA and only took about a week to arrive to London.  









I've noticed a few blog favourites of mine (Anna dello Russo and Chicmuse) leading the way. And I will join them. Yes, sequin season is probably over but other greens have been all over the catwalk. Emilio Pucci cut out dresses as seen on Jennifer Lopez and  Marc Jacobs velvet pieces. Also Lara Stone for Tom Ford Beauty , Kurt Geiger and even Versace for H&M. Whether you invest in a sequin piece or not, intense greens will be huge. 
So....I dare you.

*elie saab runway photos via style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment